Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Summer Lovin'

As per the request of my only frequent reader, Allison, I have decided to restart my blogging days. Yes, I never was one for resisting peer pressure. Well, you know. Anyway. Here are my top 10 reasons why I love summer. And yes, I hope that the title of this blog gets that all-too-familiar and catchy tune in your head. It will serve as great background music while you read this.

10. Fireworks! Okay, so. I love fireworks. I know many people think they are overrated, but I think because I was so afraid of them and didn't enjoy them that much when I was younger makes me love them now. AND if you live in Utah you get a bonus day. Even though we don't "celebrate" Pioneer Day, we get to benefit from the festivities. This year, we saw two fireworks shows up close (Sugarhouse Park and Cottonwood Heights) and we did some fun street fireworks (Matt's favorites were the Tanks. I'm pretty sure he was reliving his childhood too).




9. Outdoor plays/concerts. We have had the opportunity to see lots of fun productions this summer including the Feist concert at Deer Valley and Footloose at the Murray Park Amphitheater. I love being able to sit outside and watch the day turn to dusk (or wait for more dark according to Josh and Matt) while enjoying the company of dear friends.




8. Playing with Scout. Our dog has more than enough energy to go around, which is difficult to handle in the busier/colder months of the year. In the summer we have more than enough time to take him to Tanner Park, the reservoir, or just on a nice evening walk. He's more bearable this summer than he ever has been, which makes me like him more. Yes, I think my love for him is conditional.



7. Cooking. I love to cook and bake and try new recipes, but I never give it enough attention during the school year. In the summer, I'm more motivated to spend more time in the kitchen. Some of the fun things I've made this summer include: chocolate tres leches cake, chicken tikka masala, lemon cupcakes, banana bread, homemade salsa, making stuff with the basil growing on our porch, homemade smoothies, and lots of grilling!

6. Hiking. Even though you can enjoy hiking in any season, it seems that I make more time for it in the Summer. Apart from the worst-hike/backpack trip-ever experience (maybe someday I will be able to write a humorous blog about that... not yet), I have really enjoyed taking advantage of the nearby mountains. Take Hiking-with-Connie-Mondays. We meet on Mondays and go for a "hike". By hike I mean that we wander aimlessly up and down the canyon in our car looking for the elusive "easy hike" that we've read about. On more than one occasion, we have missed a trail and instead forged onto the more "moderate" trails, which we have never reached the end of. It's like we're on a never-ending stairmaster headed straight for our doom. Anyway. Here's a few pictures of some of our favorite hiking memories.




5. Fruit. All my favorite fruits are in season in the summer. Strawberries, peaches, cherries, oh my! I always feel like I eat healthier in the Summer. And I'm more tan. No wonder Winter is so depressing! Oh yes, did I mention cantaloupe?



4. Flowers. I love flowers and now I have a flowery yard that yields beautiful flowers for my kithcen table! I get all school-girl excited when I can go pick fresh flowers and throw them in a mason jar to sit on my table. God knew what he was doing when He created flowers for us..



3. Catching up with friends and family. If there's one thing I hate about working it's that I don't have enough time to get together with all the people I would like to. So, I think I do a pretty good job of making up for it in the summertime. I have thoroughly enjoyed coffee, walks, lunches, dinners, barbecues, movies, and lots of other things with friends this summer. I hope that someday I make it a priority to do these things during the school year!

2. Being married to a teacher. Specifially the one I'm married to. Some people think that we would struggle with barely seeing each other for 9 months and then being together non-stop for 3 months. Well, you're right. Just kidding. I wouldn't have it any other way! When else in our lives will we be able to just drop everything and go for a 9 day roadtrip? Or just drop everything and go see a movie in the middle of the day. We hike together, nap together, sometimes golf together, cook together, shop together (one of us enjoys that... I think you can guess who), and watch youtube together. Sure, we get in our fights and that's when I have a girl's night or Matt goes golfing. :) It's a great setup, I tell you. Love you Matt!



And the 1. reason I love Summer? Naps. This week I've been trying to get back into a regular sleeping schedule, waking up with Matt as he gets ready for baseball practice. I have been doing a great job getting up and being very productive. However, around 2:00 my eyelids turn to lead and I begin to drift off to another place. I'm pretty sure they've banned naptime in 2nd grade classrooms, so I'm going to have to cut that habit out pretty soon... in 19 days to be exact. :(

1 comment:

the blogivers said...

Is Matt the one that loves shopping?