Sunday, November 16, 2008

2 months.

What? Are you going to give me a hard time for not blogging for 2 months? It's because of my never-ending to-do list. Here it is.

1. Deep Clean. Our poor "puppy" Scout had to have surgery 6 weeks ago and has been living in our house non-stop ever since. This has provided for some frustration on my part and on Scout's. Mine? Oh, maybe just the 3 pairs of shoes, Real Simple magazine, book on tape, and intro to a borrowed book that he has torn to shreds. Also the fact that our carpets are completely covered in dog hair. You would think that vaccuuming might help but it doesn't (this will come later on my to-do list). Really!? Really. For Scout? Oh, maybe that he's been pinned up in the same stale room for the past 8 weeks, begging to be walked. It's sad the he lives for the small hints of movement outside our picture window hoping that maybe today something exciting will happen in our suburban and lonely cul-de-sac. Hopefully he will be all healed in time for the snow.. he loves the stuff.

2. Christmas Boutique. SO I decided to host a small Christmas Boutique this year in hopes to meet new people, hopefully even some neighbors, and provide people with some off-beat, simple Christmas gifts. I can't wait for it but have already had nightmares of hundreds of people showing up and buying everything in the first 30 minutes, then locking my door that is decorated with a single post-it note that reads "Just Kidding, no Christmas Boutique". Did I mention that I'm naked in this dream and can't seem to find clothes? I hate it when that happens. Also, I'm not going to lie. I think there's something wrong with you if you already have ALL your Christmas shopping done. Really. ;)

3. Find my love for teaching again. This year has not been without it's major never-before-seen challenges. I've had more frustrating and impatient days than I will admit to and I'm not sure what it means. I choose to blame the children, which sometimes works out for me, but usually doesn't. I've decided that teaching small children reveals all the hidden, secret, and ugly parts of one's soul. I'm still having my 'Scrubs' flashbacks where I envision how parts of my day would play out were there not any consequences or consciences. Not a good thing, might I add. It's also sad to think about all the things I said I would "never do" but now have become constants in my classroom. Here's to compromising.

4. Learn some ridiculously hard and complex Christmas music for the Christmas concerts. Don't get me wrong, one of my main stress-relievers is sitting down and attacking the piano. However, when there are many other things and seemingly more important things to be done, it takes a back burner. The only problem with that? The concerts will be here in 4 weeks no matter how I look at it. I can choose to be disciplined now and evade embarrassment when the concert comes, or I can keep putting it off and make a fool of myself in front of the hundreds of people in attendance. I think I'll choose the first one. p.s. Concerts are December 11, 12, and 13th. Tickets are free for guests, so let me know if you'd like to come. They're super fun and a great way to get in the holiday spirit!

5. Volunteer with every organization I want to in my "spare time". This has been on my to-do list for quite a while. My top three are the IRC and being a family mentor, helping with counseling at the PRC, and working with kids after-school at the Utah Dream Center. I know there's such a thing as spreading yourself too thin... that's why I haven't committed to any of these places yet. In a perfect world I wouldn't work and would be able to work at these places for no money and be okay with that. Oh, to dream.

6. Pay my impending late fees at the library. Okay, so I checked out 30 library books and turned them ALL in a week late. So? So? Teachers should be exempt from the fine rule. Especially when she spends a week looking for "Rotten Randolph" in her class library because a sweet student accidentally put it back in our bookshelf. As a people pleaser, you can imagine that I would hate the phone call where I had to call the librarian and tell her that I lost the County Library Systems ONE copy of Rotten Randolph. Actually, the book wasn't that great, so it would have been a favor.

7. Finish all the books and movies that I've a) chosen not to finish or b) fallen asleep halfway through. I have 6 books, no 7, that I've "started". My problem? I can't say no. Someone tells me of a book that will change my life and I have to buy it/check it out (as soon as I pay up on my late fees) so as not to miss out on this life-altering event. Also, Matt and I love to walk to Blockbuster or Red Box. The only problem with RedBox? If we rent a movie during the week, we will not get through it in one night. It will take about 6-7 days before we watch it completely, so our rentals end up being $7.49. When it's such a "good deal". We rented Leatherheads and it cost us 12 bucks. Really? Really. Don't judge me, please.

8. Last but not least, catch up on all my friend's blogs. Currently, Allison has 25 blogs I haven't read, Becky and Halen have 12 and 7, respectively. Thank goodness for a 4-day Thanksgiving break. Could you guys not blog between now and then so I have a shot at getting caught up? :) Just kidding, the world needs your thoughts.

Okay, that's all. If you made it to the end, I'm shocked. Did I mention that most of the stuff on my to-do list are things I don't really WANT to do or have the drive to do? I wish my to-do list included sampling all 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins, getting a massage, and decorating the guest bedroom for Allison and Wade's visit. (Can't wait!) That's really all this time. :)

One thing I forgot. #9. Buy Josh Rosenthal's new Christmas CD. From what I've heard, it's amazing and I love to support a friend. Especially an extremely talented one. He'll be playing at the Christmas concerts too, don't miss it! You can check his stuff out on itunes, including his new CD.

2 comments:

the blogivers said...

FINALLY! Just so you know, I read all the way to the end. And just so you know, I faithfully check your blog almost every day for an update - I haven't given up on you. I loved this update... makes me feel way more clued in on your life :) I also love that it referenced my upcoming visit in the near future! I seriously can't wait to see you guys!!!

Lindsey said...

My friend. I also read all the way to the end and I loved every word. Your life sounds like a whirlwind, but a fun one nevertheless. I miss you tons and will devour every word you post. Go ahead and add one more new blog to check up on... mine!

Your students are blessed to have you, your dog is blessed to have you, your husband is blessed to have you, and the library is too, since they can now give Christmas bonuses.

I love you and your busy life, my friend.