This year, for the first time since we've been married, Matt and I got to spend Valentine's Day together! He is usually at the State Basketball Tournament over v-day, but this year it was a week later. We were tempted to plan a big night out: dinner and a play or performance, but decided to stay in (we've been ridiculously frugal lately, and the little pup couldn't be left alone for too long!). I decided to make a "manly" meal for Matt, and chose Beer Butt Chicken (I don't really like the name of it, but it paints the picture). Here's the recipe:
Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
1 can of beer
fresh rosemary
dried thyme
1 lemon
olive oil
paprika
garlic
salt
First, clean out the chicken (gross, by the way). Then, combine 1 tsp. chopped rosemary, 1 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. lemon zest, 1 tsp. minced garlic, 1 tsp. thyme, and 1 tsp. salt and rub it all over the chicken. Next, open the can of beer and pour half of it out. Next, put 2 sprigs of rosemary, 1 tbsp. olive oli, the juice from the lemon, 2 minced cloves of garlic, and 1 tsp. thyme into the can. Then comes the best part-- stand the chicken up on the can and cook (make sure the oven is preheated before you put it in). We baked it 30 minutes at 400, then an hour at 350. It was sooo juicy and yummy. Here's a fun picture of Matt with the chicken, the lemon hat was for decoration. :)
Also, I found a recipe for Matt's favorite drink we had on our honeymoon in Mexico: the dirty monkey! Easy to make, but very sweet! It was more than a dessert drink. Combine 1 oz. creme de cacao, 1 oz. creme de bananes, 1 oz. Kahlua, ice and a scoop of vanilla ice cream and blend. mmmmm...
Next, the reign of my fabulous student teacher is over. Her last day was Friday, so that means I'm back to the grind!!! Yes, bad habits were formed, but it is almost Spring... my favorite time of the year! Also, it's official, I get to teach part-time next year. I'm super excited. I get to team with Alisa, who I've worked with for 3 years now. I'll get to teach in the mornings and every other Friday. Now, this started the pregnancy rumors like no other! But, alas, there is no baby on the horizon. Instead, I'll hopefully be spending the rest of my time working with Mike Bell and Hungry for Life!! You can read Mike's blog to find out the story behind this, but it's an awesome organization and I'm so excited to be able to get involved. Mike is in Guatemala right now, checking out a ministry he hopes to be able to support. I've been checking his pictures via Facebook and it's done nothing but make me more excited for the possibilities! Check out the picture below, look at the beautiful faces of those kids. I can't wait to learn more about how to help them out.

Today the book club girls and I threw a shower for Jen and Tara. So fun!! We gave them books to grow their little boy library, and other fun things. A few of us made some fun yummy treats to share, I made baby bootie cupcakes! (Thanks a LOT Ana for the idea.. sheesh!). I won't lie, these were a lot of work and pretty frustrating. And, I'm no professional cupcaker like Allison, but I think they turned out pretty great!
And, last but not least, a little encouragement. Being in a school district, I am well aware of the toll the economy is taking on everyday life. We are making cutbacks and having endless, frustrating discussions of what the future may hold in the public schools. I have many friends who have lost their jobs/benefits, lost salary, and are facing what looks like a bleak year ahead. However, I was listening to good 'ol Francis Chan and was so encouraged. We often have no choice it seems but to worry or freak out about everything around us. What is popular seems justified. But, remember, this life is but a mist (James), why not focus on ways to make it a fragrant offering to Christ and to rest in His plan? It's so easy to get caught up in the number crunch of life. Trust in the Lord. He will always provide. Sometimes it doesn't look like provision in the ways that we would like it to... sometimes it means a lost job so that we can really find the purpose we've been longing for, or a different home so that we can meet those neighbors who we were meant to meet. Sometimes we won't ever know the reasons for the things that we go through. But, someday I know I'll be in God's presence and that will be my answer... just His presence. I have to tell myself more often than I'd like to admit to keep a "big picture" perspective and enjoy life as it comes! Have a great week!
1 comment:
Exeptionally good....
I will spend some time here to read on....puts me at peace
Post a Comment