Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What to do...

There's so much to do everywhere I go. Currently I'm sitting in my classroom (a.k.a. Land of the Never-Ending To-Do Lists) looking around thinking of all I could do. All I should do. But, I'm listening to music, reading my friends' blogs and writing my own. When I go home, I will be shamefully reminded of how I need to de-clutter (thanks Allison) especially if we are perhaps putting our house on the market in the Spring (yay!) and I will be disgusted again at how much dog hair can accumulate in a mere 3 days. Gross I know. Or "grody"... what ever happened to that word?? Other places I could go: grocery store... no money, no thanks. Gym: large thighs in small pants... no thanks. Park: currently it looks about 15 degrees outside, so no. Library: reminded of how many books I want to read but don't have time to, NO! So, I will sit here and try to ignore the stack of ungraded papers and the endless random stacks that should and need to be organized. I'll go home soon, because it's just going to get colder! On the bright side, I made soup for the first time last night. Here's the recipe (Becky, aren't you proud!?) from MarthaStewart.com. Props to Martha.

Curried Carrot Soup.

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon curry powder
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth (about 3 1/2 cups)
2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)


1. Heat butter in a Dutch oven or large (4- to 5-quart) saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, curry powder, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add broth, carrots, and 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
3. In a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth; transfer to a clean saucepan. Add more water to thin to desired consistency. Reheat, if necessary. Stir in lemon juice. Serve garnished with cilantro, if desired.

Note: Hot liquids will expand when blended, so be careful not to fill the jar of the blender more than halfway. To prevent the liquid from spattering, allow the heat to escape: Remove the cap from hole in lid, and cover lid with a dish towel when blending. (this was helpful, I'm sure I would have had an orange kitchen!)

It was so easy and delicious. I felt so healthy I ate a spoonful of frosting when I was done. haha! Have a great one!

4 comments:

the blogivers said...

Every healthy meal should end with a nice big swab of frosting :)

Becky at VintageMixer said...

Sounds delicious...I will definitly be trying you and Martha's Curried Carrot Soup!

Becky at VintageMixer said...

Ps...I read someone's blog the other day whose title was "I don't blog, I just wanted to comment on someone else's blog and I had to sign up. Dammit." This made me laugh and think of you and how you were also forced into blogging.

Becky at VintageMixer said...

You're not going to post any more blogs until we all try your soup are you?!! I want to try it..I really do! Please post more blogs!!