Sunday, June 15, 2008

Time off.

So. Time off is a blessing and a curse. I'm actually missing my regular crazy teacher life. I'm sure I'll be eating those words come August, but it's true. I'm trying to get better at exercising, spending quality time with God, or helping during my time off... but, usually what happens is one of the following two scenarios. I either gain a lot of weight because I get bored and down an entire box of Double Stuf oreos or Scooby Doo fruit snacks in a single sitting, or I get "creative" and drown myself in lots of projects. Luckily, I have tried to choose the latter. Today, we had our families over for Father's Day where I cooked the entire meal (what a fun project!!!) including a CHOCOLATE tres leches cake from scratch (pictures and delicious recipe below). I think Becky has inspired me to be creative in the kitchen. Cheers to BeckBeck. I also got creative when I couldn't find any wall art I was happy with for above our bed. So, I decopaged some random things together and I think it works... at least it worked to keep me busy for a few hours and saved our wallet some decent cash.

On a totally different note, have you ever seen how much people dare to charge for WINDOW COVERINGS!? Oh my goodness. For simple cloth roman blinds for our kitchen (from "cheap" IKEA), it would be like 150 bucks for the cheap ones that will probably get sun-stained and ravel at the sides. I found drapes I love at Target, but they are 30 dollars for each panel and then like 40 dollars for a rod! What?! hmm... am I too cheap? Just let me know. I've never bought them before.

Matt is leaving tomorrow for a week in St. George (no, I don't envy him, the highs are in the triple digits). So, he is either going to come home to a wife that is 10 pounds heavier or to a home that has seen my creative side this week. I'm hoping for the second option.




Here's the address for the choclate tres leches cake. Too much to type and I know you wouldn't believe me if I told you it was a secret family recipe or one I created on my own. http://www.recipezaar.com/94259.

1 comment:

the blogivers said...

Pretty decorations and pretty cake - you're so talented! :)